Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

Hello everyone,

I would like let everyone know that I have updated the forum permissions for the Guest and Validating usergroups to make them quite a bit more open.  The purpose behind these changes is simply to make the forums more accessible and more open, encouraging participation and activity from potential and new members.

Specifics:

• Validating Members can now post in most of the forums that Clan Members can post in (previously they were able to read but not start/reply to topics)
  • Guests can now see all of the forums that Validating Members could previously see (previously they could only see the Public Forums category)
  • The Public Forums category has been renamed to The Gateway (as in entrance, not drug)
  • The Public Archives forum has been renamed to Community Archives and its description has been updated.

If for some reason these changes do not work out so well, we can always change things back.  I do believe that these new permissions will result in a bump in the number of new people registering and applying.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post below.

Regards,

Christian

• Seán, Matthew, Turds and 1 other like this
"I hereby swear to abandon all fear; to question everything; to trust in myself; to honor those before me as I excel, and to support those who follow as they ascend. I swear that I will never accept another’s standard for success, as I set mine one measure higher. When I am finished, no one will ever look at me the same way again."

#2 Smitty

Smitty

Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

• The Gateway (as in entrance, not drug)

ha

#3 MortalNinja

MortalNinja

Forum Whore

• Clan Friend
  • Others: +Exclusive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

I hope we don't run into the previous problem with spammers/bots posting a bunch of stuff as a validating member

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#4 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Fair concern although Validating Members have been able to post in a few forums and those haven't seen spam either.  I think this is related to some spam blocking software that Josh configured.

"I hereby swear to abandon all fear; to question everything; to trust in myself; to honor those before me as I excel, and to support those who follow as they ascend. I swear that I will never accept another’s standard for success, as I set mine one measure higher. When I am finished, no one will ever look at me the same way again."

#5 Joshua

Joshua

Tech Admin\WRPG Fanatic

• Senior Administrator
  • 1906 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Fair concern although Validating Members have been able to post in a few forums and those haven't seen spam either.  I think this is related to some spam blocking software that Josh configured.

Stop Forum Spam (the mod we use) is a godsend. ReCaptcha never seemed to do much, same with IPS' own internal spam thing. o.o

Got a problem with the forum, another clan mate, or something in the clan chat? PM me and I'll take care of it.

BhHin9N.png

Bitcoin (฿): 1D4Jxg4Xt2EZNZoYuDvDeYBPQ7ABKDHGbA (Click for QR Code)
Litecoin (Ł): Lfx3Rm1yCEaaRDqenUUqfSBGCZRdFEx6a9 (Click for QR Code)