The People's Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3942 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Hey guys,

(Some small spoilers so watch out)

So after watching most of it, I feel like I'd like to get a discussion going about this film. If you've not seen it, or don't plan on seeing it, it's about a guy and his self aware AI falling in love.

It poses interesting questions about what defines a human, and to me as someone doing CS and studying various things about AI's it reminded me of the "Computational theory of mind" (the human mind is a computer, and we're doing is trying to copy it with machines).

The film itself is a little... strange. Chilling almost, maybe because of how real it could potentially be. I actually couldn't take much more after watching it for... I want to say an hour or so. It almost became too..cringe-y, which I'm sure was intentional for the character development and all. However, I don't want to take away from its brilliance.

There were also some "future" videogames shown and it also seemed like something for the future. Directly interacting with the characters, asking them questions, them responding in different ways depending on your tone etc. There was a small part that struck me, where the main character, the AI and one of the video game characters strike up a dialog, and a guy on reddit explains it up best.

"There's a scene where Joaquin is talking to his video game and Samantha. They joke, they laugh, they argue, but in reality Theodore is alone. It's brilliant. It's an incredibly accurate observation about where we're headed, and what the future socialization of people looks like. It's not terribly weird that we split our attention in public between screens and people, when does it not become weird to focus more on the screens than the people?"

It kind of sums up what chilled me about this film. It was almost too accurate. Anyway, mild rambling going on.

Opinions, people? Enjoy the film or not? Potential representation of our future?

Edited by Steph, 14 February 2014 - 05:56 AM.

Posted Image

Attack - Strength - Defence - Constitution - Herblore - Prayer - Construction - Firemaking - Ranged - Cooking
Spoiler

#2 Momo

Momo

The World's Finest

• Clan Member
  • 3198 posts
  • Steam: Momo
  • XBL: Momo786X
  • LocationWales, United Kingdom
  • RSN: Momo
  • Guild Wars:Momo.4390

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

r u high m8

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Holy

Holy

Moe

• 4647 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

Link for the lazy?

#4 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Haven't seen the movie, but doubt it. You can't replace physical human interaction. I can't impregnate a woman via the internet. Yet.

On a side note; speaking of the future, how come everyone in Wall-E is American and enormously obese? Like damn it filmmakers. I get that they're all fat because technology had increasingly made their lives easy, but damn it why are they all American?

Bitcoin (฿): 1D4Jxg4Xt2EZNZoYuDvDeYBPQ7ABKDHGbA (Click for QR Code)
Litecoin (Ł): Lfx3Rm1yCEaaRDqenUUqfSBGCZRdFEx6a9 (Click for QR Code)