MJDurlak

Pokemon Trainer

• Others: Recruitment Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

This is being made because i want to see this clan turn around. I get that you can say that i havnt contributed since i stepdown from DoE but im not apart of management at this time. Ive been getting on the forums every other day for the last couple of months and i see little to no activity. (RSS Bot is showing the most activity) I will go over somethings i feel that need to improve. This is not to stir the pot or annoy anyone (although it will bring activity out) but i feel this topic needs to be made for us to take the right step forward again.

Senior Admins

Not sure what to put here. i dont know active you are or if your aware of the condition of Subsistence.

Admin

Fenway is in charge of this. Im hoping hes talking to the Directors on this or how things need to be improved. (since he over sees it all)

Recruitment Team

From what i saw with Recruitment overview of October. That a lot of the websites havnt been bumped in awhile (not gonna check but i can assume with lack of activity, that its still the same). members list needs to be updated and filtered. The last member we got in was back in august. 

Member Management

A lot seems to be on par from what i can tell. People are getting there medals on request. people are being validated. etc. i dont know what else that needs to improve. Im not sure what is happening with the mentor program though.

Events Team

Lack of events happening with only 1 member of the events team besides director. i do like the post on the timezones but i feel this should happened awhile ago. Not sure what is happening with Minecraft or Guildwars 2 is dead. League i feel there is some potential but there doesnt seem to be enough activity or events for it.

AGAIN this isnt made to be a personal attack but more of a wake up call. I fear that subsistence will never be what i was.

I kept this short then ranting because not many people will be seeing this anyway. But lets get this ball rolling in the right direction

• Spaciouz likes this
Posted Image

#2 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

No section for Senior Members because WE'RE FUCKING AWESOME.

But, in all seriousness, my opinion is that this is more of a social clan, meaning everybody already knows each other (from over the years) and is using this forum as a means to keep up with each other. Not saying that is a bad thing, because I love that about this clan.

EDIT: 700th post, hell yeah.

Edited by Bowsie, 17 November 2014 - 10:31 AM.

• Andrew likes this

#3 MortalNinja

MortalNinja

Forum Whore

• Clan Friend
  • Others: +Exclusive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:10 AM

There is an ongoing discussion in Leadership about this exactly. MJ, I know and agree with what you have stated above, but do you have any solutions to propose? All of our ears are listening. 

I am getting the Events Department back on track as of this past week with the Timezone post. I am committing to not having long spans of inactivity and I'm gonna start implementing events of my own this upcoming week. 

What I ask of everyone now is to offer their ideas about how to "revamp" the clan and offer their help in doing so. Leadership cannot do this alone, so any helping hand or suggestion is appreciated.

On a more specific note, if you have not taken the timezone poll, please do so here

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#4 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

What I ask of everyone now is to offer their ideas about how to "revamp" the clan and offer their help in doing so. Leadership cannot do this alone, so any helping hand or suggestion is appreciated.

Activity. We need more active members. The clan's active member list is dwindling by the week. That makes sense because it seems that most of this clan joined when they were younger (probably in high school or lower, looking at you Seany, lol) and is now growing older. Most of our member base is in college and/or has a SO that is absorbing a lot of our free time. If you want more active members you are going to have to direct attention to recruiting a "more younger" crowd (around Seany's age). I remember when I was Seany's age and was in this one clan called TRL and another clan called Hall's Raiders and I was head over heels for those clans. It was like "TRL OR DIE", or "HALL'S RAIDERS IS THE BEST". And it was awesome. I got so encumbered by the whole experience that it drove me to still being a somewhat active member today and to seek out TRL's grandchild (which is this clan).  With the younger crowd comes immaturity, petty fights and whatnot, but that's apart of them growing up. I wasn't exactly the most mature when I was younger, and a lot of the older members and leaders from the clans listed above actually taught me some lessons about life, which was kick ass.

I seem to have stumbled off topic here, so let me TL;DR.

TL;DR: Acquire a younger and more active member base who have a lot more free time on their hands than us old farts. It's the activity that is killing us.

P.S: In no way am I trying to make myself out to be an active player. I'm somewhat active on the forums and RS has eluded me for the past 6 months.

EDIT: Words are hard.

Edited by Bowsie, 17 November 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#5 MortalNinja

MortalNinja

Forum Whore

• Clan Friend
  • 2094 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

Activity. We need more active members. The clan's active member list is dwindling by the week. That makes sense because it seems that most of this clan joined when they were younger (probably in high school or lower, looking at you Seany, lol) and is now growing older. Most of our member base is in college and/or has a SO that is absorbing a lot of our free time. If you want more active members you are going to have to direct attention to recruiting a "more younger" crowd (around Seany's age). I remember when I was Seany's age and was in this one clan called TRL and another clan called Hall's Raiders and I was head over heels for those clans. It was like "TRL OR DIE", or "HALL'S RAIDERS IS THE BEST". And it was awesome. I got so encumbered by the whole experience that it drove me to still being a somewhat active member today and to seek out TRL's grandchild (which is this clan).  With the younger crowd comes immaturity, petty fights and whatnot, but that's apart of them growing up. I wasn't exactly the most mature when I was younger, and a lot of the older members and leaders from the clans listed above actually taught me some lessons about life, which was kick ass.

I seem to have stumbled off topic here, so let me TL;DR.

TL;DR: Acquire a younger and more active member base who have a lot more free time on their hands than us old farts. It's the activity that is killing us.

P.S: In no way am I trying to make myself out to be an active player. I'm somewhat active on the forums and RS has eluded me for the past 6 months.

So in what ways can we boost recruitment? Any specific/unique ideas you might have to give us an edge or just straight fansite postings?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#6 MJDurlak

MJDurlak

Pokemon Trainer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

There is an ongoing discussion in Leadership about this exactly. MJ, I know and agree with what you have stated above, but do you have any solutions to propose? All of our ears are listening. 

I am getting the Events Department back on track as of this past week with the Timezone post. I am committing to not having long spans of inactivity and I'm gonna start implementing events of my own this upcoming week. 

I appreciate letting myself and others who are unable to see that discussion. I just hope the discussion is moving along.

as far as things about solutions i would like everyone who reads this topic to put in what you feel would be a great choice for us to bounce back.

i have little insight on the management front so ill leave that to you guys. i think Events needs a post on getting members on the team. i will like to join back on to get the ball going. Recruitment team needs to be weeded ut on who isnt doing there job and put u a topic on those would like to. If the positions cant be filled then Recruitment needs to look at what websites are a must and which websites w can afford to not focus on.

Events team should think about hosting another secret santa and maybe a year exp event starting on the 1st of january.

No section for Senior Members because WE'RE FUCKING AWESOME..

forgot about Senior Members some questions to ask is if people still fit the title and if there is any potentials who can become one

food for thought

Posted Image

#7 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

So in what ways can we boost recruitment? Any specific/unique ideas you might have to give us an edge or just straight fansite postings?

Remember what clans did back in the day? TRAINS BABY. I know it sounds corny, but it may work. Using all those flash texts and wave shit. Those were fun. I remember once me and a bunch of random's had a train the went from Barbarian Village to the center of Varrock.

Outside of in-game advertising it seems like we are doing all we can. I think if we just boost direct contact via in-game it might increase recruitment.

#8 MortalNinja

MortalNinja

Forum Whore

• Clan Friend
  • 2094 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

I think Events needs a post on getting members on the team. i will like to join back on to get the ball going. 

You don't need to be on the Events team to make events really. But I suppose I can open up positions for that. I didn't really think to because overall activity is low.

Remember what clans did back in the day? TRAINS BABY. I know it sounds corny, but it may work. Using all those flash texts and wave shit. Those were fun. I remember once me and a bunch of random's had a train the went from Barbarian Village to the center of Varrock.

Outside of in-game advertising it seems like we are doing all we can. I think if we just boost direct contact via in-game it might increase recruitment.

Do you think clan members will be motivated to do those sorts of things though? 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#9 Seán

Seán

Forum Slut

• 3281 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

One problem with recruiting a younger player-base is that there are a relatively low amount of 'young' people playing RS now, or at least I think there is. I think this could be the best way to go, since I joined when I was 10 almost 5 years ago and had a great time. However, with age I kind of grew out of RuneScape (I still love it but I feel that the grind isn't that fun anymore), and so we must constantly be recruiting these people. That could be a challenge.

Events are something we will need to keep that kind of player-base around though, and that poses its own challenge because none of us really have the effort to host an event, if we're to be truly honest with ourselves.

Let me know what you think and don't forget that I'm always open for feedback.

(I do have a VERY busy week ahead of me though, and I should be free next Wednesday)

'ᶦ ˢʷᵉᵃʳ ᵗᵒ ᵍᵒᵈ ᶦᶠ ᵃᶰʸ ᵒᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ᵐᵒᵗʰᵉʳʳᶠᵘᶜᵏᵉʳˢ ᶜᵒᵖʸ ᵃᶰᵈ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉ ᵗʰᶦˢ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵇᵉ ᶦᶰ ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ ᵗʳᵒᵘᵇᶫᵉ' ~ Holy 2014

4FmTwg8.gif

user1-dark.png

Ye Olde Cape Raque

J0cOZ.png

/o\ <- Divination Cape

/#\ <- Firemaking Cape

/O<\ <- Fishing Cape 

#10 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Do you think clan members will be motivated to do those sorts of things though?

Idk dude, I'm just the idea man here. You asked for ideas and I'm just trying to help.

#11 EverRush

EverRush

Retired CitOS

• Clan Friend
  • 1806 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

forgot about Senior Members some questions to ask is if people still fit the title and if there is any potentials who can become one

This is why we have that thread in the SenMem section, cause it really isn't a discussion for the public. i.e. JhonnyNoob123 shouldn't see us say why he's not good enough for SenMem.

But last I checked, which was a couple months ago. There were really no active people with 5+ months in the clan. Which stems from the lack of new members. Can't have new options for SenMems if no one is in the clan.

=====================================

As far as an idea, it's been kind of said before, but just ask people in game if they want to join the clan. When you're skilling or whatever, if someone is around, chat 'em up and ask about their feelings towards joining. I was talking to one guy at Abby Demons the other day and I'm waiting to see him online again to ask if he wants to join. Worst thing that can happen if you ask is they say no and hop worlds, which is no different than you not saying anything at all. Also, if they join and become inactive, oh well, at least we tried.

So to get more people, and we don't need to look for them to be younger players, just people who want to play the game; we just need to become chitter-chatter-bugs.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

I believe in me, I believe in you, and I believe that we are not meaningless.

#12 Fenway

Fenway

Director of RuneScape Affairs

• Administrator
  • 4129 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

As far as an idea, it's been kind of said before, but just ask people in game if they want to join the clan. When you're skilling or whatever, if someone is around, chat 'em up and ask about their feelings towards joining. I was talking to one guy at Abby Demons the other day and I'm waiting to see him online again to ask if he wants to join. Worst thing that can happen if you ask is they say no and hop worlds, which is no different than you not saying anything at all. Also, if they join and become inactive, oh well, at least we tried.

So to get more people, and we don't need to look for them to be younger players, just people who want to play the game; we just need to become chitter-chatter-bugs.

This is probably the best method, I'll try to do this from now on whilst skilling

Director of Runescape Affairs

user1-dark.png

#13 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

(...)

Wasn't trying to say to only pull in younger members, was just saying they tend to be more active due to more free time. It can be applied to any active person playing RS, lol.

#14 MJDurlak

MJDurlak

Pokemon Trainer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

You don't need to be on the Events team to make events really. But I suppose I can open up positions for that. I didn't really think to because overall activity is low.

Then theres no point to have a events team.

Also would like more then 5 people to participate in this. If not i fear for whats in the future of this clan

Posted Image

#15 Spaciouz

Spaciouz

カーステン

• 2716 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

The main (and only?) thing I've been thinking that can save SST is making it a fully fledged gaming clan. As in, it's not specific with RS, but for games in general. I'm not saying we abandon RS at all, but as a whole, a lot more guys in here have quit RS, but still play other games when not doing other stuff, I know it's the same for me.

aJd0SIL.gif

#16 Arya338

Arya338

Uber Poster

• Clan Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Locationwithin worlds of dragons vampire and deadly futures
  • RSN: Arya338
  • Minecraft:ice_fire338

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

i must agree for the fact with RS 'advancing' the way it has a lot of people leave for they don't like the 'feel' of runescape anymore. Sadly the problem with this is that with a great diversity it will be a few people playing this game or that and as seen with minecraft we may lose all interest in it for a while or forever. I have been trying to get back into Rs for the sake of this clan because the community was/is great. One game that would be great for this clan is Destiny i believe but with that over 4 different systems that is hard to do.

In summery i believe you can no longer do RS only. Change the forums completely to a few Major topics with all the sub ones within it 

ex. Runescape - Events- members, free

recruiting - in game, other websites

Minecraft - Worlds

and so on

edit

oh and p.s. keep the alternate reality i feel that its a good place because you cant really find a place for those topics anywhere else

Edited by Arya338, 21 November 2014 - 09:24 AM.

• Spaciouz likes this
Posted Image
I apologize if this is 2 big.. if it is would you be kind enough to tell me how to shrink it?

#17 MJDurlak

MJDurlak

Pokemon Trainer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

There is an ongoing discussion in Leadership about this exactly. 

How is this coming along?

Posted Image

#18 Steph

Steph

The People's Messiah

• 3942 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

POPULAR

To restart Subsistence, you need to rebrand. I'm talking complete overhaul, redesign, restructure, maybe even new name. And it's not something that you do by sticking up a post here or there on other forums. This would require a handful of dedicated members, willing to put aside a lot of time and potentially their own cash to bring something back from the dead.

The kind of people who joined SST are the kind that've all grown up now, and don't have time for RS anymore. You need to be going after people who aren't going to be leaving RS on a whim. Going after new players means that you only really get about 20% of those people, because a lot of them quit pretty soon after restarting.

If you go for the guys nearing max capes, and create an environment that they would enjoy to spend time in. Maybe refocus towards social media, focus on people posting statuses and what not. Like Facebook, but for like minded people who share a common interest. Embedded chat, mature discussions, no hand holding as we've experienced over the past couple of years. The Runescape audience is mature now, they're not kids.

Runescape clans are no more, fellas, we gotta accept that. Also, when targeting the mature audience, Subsistence is the lamest name ever, and personally, I'd opt to change that. I know there is a lot of nostalgia, looking back at the old days, but it's over, and things won't ever be like that again. Gotta embrace that and move on.

Just my 2 cents.

Also hi! Still <3 U all except fen
  • Christian, Seán, Andrew and 3 others like this
Posted Image

Attack - Strength - Defence - Constitution - Herblore - Prayer - Construction - Firemaking - Ranged - Cooking
Spoiler

#19 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Subsistence is the lamest name ever

I am pretty sure that you would not have to go very far to find a lamer name than Subsistence as far as RuneScape clans go.

Also, if you are curious about the specific inspiration for our name, it is this game.  (I know that trailer is like 4 pixels but the game is like 8 years old and a PS2 exclusive).

Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post.  The shitty attempt to become a gaming clan was a move I suggested in anticipation of this type of thing happening, but obviously we kind of just spun our wheels and that went nowhere.  It might be time to adopt a similar line of thinking now.

Senior Admins

Not sure what to put here. i dont know active you are or if your aware of the condition of Subsistence.

Quite aware.  I made a post about this exact issue in leadership over a month ago.  Our discussion largely reflects the same key points as this one does.

My opinion is the same as those who say as your get older you stop playing RuneScape, and that the entire RuneScape crowd has moved on now.  Myself included.  I enjoy gaming and I enjoy the community that a place like this has to offer but personally I have had little draw and no time at all to devote to a game that requires grinding like RuneScape does.

I would push for a more active Steam component of the clan, with more focused game events, weekly 'game nights', and most importantly, a calendar that lists games that will be played ahead of time (so people can install/buy the games and be ready when it is time to play).  We have tried this before but it seems that there is a lack of interest in actually managing anything other than RuneScape and (sort of) Minecraft.

• Bowsie likes this
"I hereby swear to abandon all fear; to question everything; to trust in myself; to honor those before me as I excel, and to support those who follow as they ascend. I swear that I will never accept another’s standard for success, as I set mine one measure higher. When I am finished, no one will ever look at me the same way again."

#20 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:23 PM

I can manage an Xbox side of a gaming clan, if necessary. Am always on my 360 and as of Christmas this year I will have an XBOne. Will gladly devote time for that platform. Destiny, GTA, would buy CoD (if I had to), Master Chief Collection, and much more. So stoked at this possibility.

Edited by Bowsie, 29 November 2014 - 11:24 PM.

Bitcoin (฿): 1D4Jxg4Xt2EZNZoYuDvDeYBPQ7ABKDHGbA (Click for QR Code)
Litecoin (Ł): Lfx3Rm1yCEaaRDqenUUqfSBGCZRdFEx6a9 (Click for QR Code)