Photo

Clan Gaming Involvement Survey

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Clan Gaming Involvement Survey (21 member(s) have cast votes)

I play RuneScape

1. Yes, often (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

2. Kinda, sometimes (9 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. No, basically never (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

I have an interest in organized gaming events for games other than RuneScape

1. Yes, I am interested and would definitely play (11 votes [52.38%])

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

2. Somewhat; I am open to the idea and might participate (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

3. No, I am not interested in other games at all (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

I would be open to buying inexpensive games ($5 - $10) from time to time to game with the clan

1. Yes, I might buy a new game to play with the clan (13 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

2. No, I am not interested in buying new games (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. No, I can't buy new games (not old enough, no money, no credit card, etc.) (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

Vote

#1 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hello everyone,

This topic is a short survey to gauge interest in where people stand in regards to playing games other than RuneScape in a format organized by the clan.  This survey is motivated by the SST Revamp Discussion posted a few weeks ago.  A significant portion of the people who responded indicated that with the clan's less than stellar activity as of late, it seems quite likely that some people have "outgrown" or lost interest in RuneScape and this has caused them to become less involved.

A number of people also agreed with a suggestion to explore the idea of Subsistence catering to playing new games.  This would be another attempt at a "gaming clan" approach in attempt to satisfy the changing interests that people in the clan have.  This type of change was attempted a few years ago but the execution at that time was very poor and nothing came out of the attempt.  The idea is on the table again.

The point of this survey is to provide actionable data that will allow for better planning on how to proceed with this idea.  Please be honest with your responses and choose answers that you feel most accurately represent where you stand on this idea.  The specific details of this idea are nonexistent at this time, so please understand that whatever might happen in the future is quite flexible (starting with the results of this survey).

If you have any other feedback or input about this general idea, this topic would be a great place to provide that as well.

-Christian

• Spaciouz likes this
"I hereby swear to abandon all fear; to question everything; to trust in myself; to honor those before me as I excel, and to support those who follow as they ascend. I swear that I will never accept another’s standard for success, as I set mine one measure higher. When I am finished, no one will ever look at me the same way again."

#2 UrASmurf

UrASmurf

Court Jester

• Clan Member
  • Others: Recruitment Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1556 posts
  • Steam: UrASmurf
  • LocationQuick, look behind you!
  • RSN: UrASmurf
  • Minecraft:UrASmurf

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Maybe we can put together a pool (If this whole thing happens) to get those who cannot purchase things but would like to participate, the games that we have events for? I wouldn't mind throwing in a few dollars.

Spoiler

qXSpaNp.png

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $991
  • Games owned: 95
  • Games not played: 35
  • Percentage: 45%
  • Hours spent: 1,484.3h

#3 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:58 PM

Maybe we can put together a pool (If this whole thing happens) to get those who cannot purchase things but would like to participate, the games that we have events for? I wouldn't mind throwing in a few dollars.

Fortunately there's a large list of free multiplayer games that people can play.  That question on the survey is just to get a feel for what people would be willing to do.  I do agree with you however, a pool / game giveaway is an option.

"I hereby swear to abandon all fear; to question everything; to trust in myself; to honor those before me as I excel, and to support those who follow as they ascend. I swear that I will never accept another’s standard for success, as I set mine one measure higher. When I am finished, no one will ever look at me the same way again."

#4 Ray

Ray

Man of many titles

• GW2 Management
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

id be down for that we could coordinate around deals for games etc.

tumblr_mbp4d3ySxL1rhv8lio5_400.gifCammy-super2.gif

#5 Bowsie

Bowsie

Drun.K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

I would definitely apply for/support an Xbox One/360 side of the clan.

#6 Unknown828

Unknown828

His Unkiness

• Senior Administrator
  • 341 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:35 PM

In reality, like it or not, We've been a gaming community long before even the first attempt to cater to non Runescape gamers. Our member base has been divided up by Runescapers and Non-Runescapers for years now. A large portion of our Community being Non-Runescapers makes us a gaming community with a Runescape clan, rather then just a Runescape clan.

Our first attempt was just a re-organizing of leadership to accommodate and acknowledge that fact. In the end our first push for more Non-RS games fizzled out due to lack of support. Even still, we haven't been just a RS clan for sometime now, with or without our original endeavors.

Our original idea was perfectly sound, and probably wouldn't be too far off of any implementations of it we do now. The difference would purely be the follow through. People look poorly on the original attempt, but it did have a few success stories. Leauge of legends grew in the community, we used to play together quite a bit. I had the most fun on LoL playing with Momo, Ray, Holy, and Deadly. We all probably would not have played together if it wasn't for the our original efforts. Minecraft was also quite successful, although it had also been prior to the change. We had also talked about doing "Game nights" which we never followed through with.

Looks like we're just picking up where we left off. The only thing we were missing was just the effort required to actually follow through and start hosting events and fully support the non-RS gamers. I'd love to play more games with Subsistence members.

• Christian, Ray and Bowsie like this

Rschar2.png

#7 Spaciouz

Spaciouz

カーステン

• 2716 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

Very happy to see this, I feel like this is one of the few ways we can reignite Subsistence.

aJd0SIL.gif

#8 MJDurlak

MJDurlak

Pokemon Trainer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

when i hosted castle crashers i bought over 5 copies to give out to people to play, dont mind doing the same again

• Spaciouz likes this
Posted Image

#9 Seán

Seán

Forum Slut

• 3279 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

This sounds great, and I wouldn't mind paying a little money for a good game to play with everyone. The Xbox side of things could work but Steam seems to be the best bet at the moment.

A personal response to the poll:

I play RuneScape

I play RuneScape:  I get on every day to get my dailies and such, however I do little more than that. I should do more but the interest is pretty much gone.

I have an interest in organized gaming events for games other than RuneScape

I would totally love to, however there may be some games which don't interest me or I can't actually handle on my PC

I would be open to buying inexpensive games ($5 - $10) from time to time to game with the clan

Depends on the game itself and how much replayability if offers. (voted yes)

'ᶦ ˢʷᵉᵃʳ ᵗᵒ ᵍᵒᵈ ᶦᶠ ᵃᶰʸ ᵒᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ᵐᵒᵗʰᵉʳʳᶠᵘᶜᵏᵉʳˢ ᶜᵒᵖʸ ᵃᶰᵈ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉ ᵗʰᶦˢ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵇᵉ ᶦᶰ ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ ᵗʳᵒᵘᵇᶫᵉ' ~ Holy 2014

Posted Image

Ye Olde Cape Raque

Posted Image /o\ <- Divination Cape /#\ <- Firemaking Cape

#10 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

I play RuneScape:  I get on every day to get my dailies and such, however I do little more than that. I should do more but the interest is pretty much gone.

I am glad you said this, so I can address this point.  No, it is not the case that you should do more if you do not have an interest in doing so.  Something I personally have learned as I have gotten older is that my time becomes a lot more valuable.  RuneScape in particular is a game that soaks up a ridiculous amount of time and where you will usually find yourself doing the same thing over and over.  If you asked me 7 years ago, I would have totally said that this type of repetitive gameplay was fun and I enjoyed doing this (I mean, I have 99 firemaking after all).

However, as time passes your interests change and your priorities change.  The downside of being in a clan or any sort of tight knit gaming community is that there is a sort of guilt associated with losing interest in playing a game.  That really should not be the case, as gaming is supposed to be a purely enjoyable experience.  And gaming with a clan should be a purely enjoyable experience with a social element involved.

That is largely why we are having this discussion here today.  The interests of many of the members of Subsistence have shifted away from RuneScape and I am quite confident that with some work and planning, we can devise something that allows virtually everyone to play a game that they enjoy and want to play.  What it boils down to is the very reason we are considering these changes is so that nobody has to say what you just said.  "I should do more" and gaming should never go together.  Gaming should never be an obligation.

• Seán, MJDurlak and Bowsie like this

#11 John

John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

I'm 100% behind anything that keeps this train rolling.
I'm a dirt poor student until the government tops me up in January but if we work something out I'm very happy to kick in. Free to play games do exist but they might not be the ones people actually want to play.

I know I was one of the most vocal people against the whole gaming clan thing, and I still think I was right about that, but I do think we need to move with the times. Im moving into an assessment period so I won't have all that much time but moving into January I'll be around as often as I can be.
  • Ray likes this
2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#12 Ray

Ray

Man of many titles

• GW2 Management
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

I miss some of the shenanigans that we had as a group, like I posted from before I'm in for whatever. Also side note, I was playing wow with guildies and Sean(y) came into the ventrilo and we had quite a nice little chat and it was actually the reason i came in here posting and viewing this website, I miss the energy this website had.

• Seán and John like this

tumblr_mbp4d3ySxL1rhv8lio5_400.gifCammy-super2.gif

#13 UrASmurf

UrASmurf

Court Jester

• Clan Member
  • 1556 posts
  • Steam: UrASmurf
  • LocationQuick, look behind you!
  • RSN: UrASmurf
  • Minecraft:UrASmurf

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

I miss the energy this website had.

I'm totally with you on this. We used to be pretty lively back when I joined. Also it's kinda strange to realize I've been here for almost three years.

Spoiler

qXSpaNp.png

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $991
  • Games owned: 95
  • Games not played: 35
  • Percentage: 45%
  • Hours spent: 1,484.3h

#14 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

Alright guys.  Thanks you to everyone who voted and also everyone that gave input.

This poll has been open for just over 3 days and I think the 21 responses give us a good sense on where people stand in regards to this issue.  Expect an analysis topic posted in this forum shortly.

• UrASmurf likes this

Bitcoin (฿): 1D4Jxg4Xt2EZNZoYuDvDeYBPQ7ABKDHGbA (Click for QR Code)
Litecoin (Ł): Lfx3Rm1yCEaaRDqenUUqfSBGCZRdFEx6a9 (Click for QR Code)