John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

As the title states, i suggest replacing rune head with a custom built, in-house hosted alternative. 

I came to horses with the idea a few months ago and asked her to bring it up without my name attached and didn't receive positive or negative feedback so...whatever.

I'll write it, it's nothing more complicated than pulling stats from the lite hiscores every time someone refreshes it, populating a database and displaying it. Assuming no crazy server incompatibilities it shouldn't take more than a month or two accounting for prior commitments. Plus if it goes down well i can read up on jquery to furnish it with some nice graphs and other graphical things like progress charts. Aside from that i'd write most if not all of it in Php, html, sql and css because thats what i know.

I've already written the extraction code but i stopped a while ago because i can fully see this getting shot down in flames.

• Christian and Seán like this
2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#2 EverRush

EverRush

Retired CitOS

• Clan Friend
  • 1806 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I mean... I don't see a problem with it if you really want to do it... That being said, we didn't really use runehead that much. So I wouldn't waste tons of your time for something that will get minimal use.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

I believe in me, I believe in you, and I believe that we are not meaningless.

#3 Fenway

Fenway

Director of RuneScape Affairs

• Administrator
  • 4129 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Are we talking one similar to Irenic? I've always loved that.

• John likes this
Director of Runescape Affairs

user1-dark.png

#4 John

John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Are we talking one similar to Irenic? I've always loved that.

Lewis is a twatting genius compared to me but along the same lines. basic stat tracking and comparisons would come first, with more advanced stuff like graphs, charts and stuff like daily xp gain ranks coming after.

I really want to do it because i want to see this clan grow and for what it's worth i think that if it was done well it would make us look at least a bit more professional. that said, irenic has custom tracking and their runescape cc is dead. solo...idk.

I mean... I don't see a problem with it if you really want to do it... That being said, we didn't really use runehead that much. So I wouldn't waste tons of your time for something that will get minimal use.

I have a lot of time on my hands to be honest, plus i want to have a decent portfolio of website designs by this time next year so i it would be advantageous to me regardless of how much use it gets. But then i would hope that adding facilities for stuff like competitions, individual user races and the like would seriously bolster its usage.

• Dw Vonder likes this
2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#5 HadesKratos

HadesKratos

Deus Omnium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam: HadesKratos
  • LocationHell ( next to Tartarus, south of the giant "You are Here" sign) or New Jersey
  • RSN: HadesKratos
  • Minecraft:WarLordKratos

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Go for it if you want to.

user1-dark.png

Hades_Kratos.png
Goal:
Spoiler

#6 Joshua

Joshua

Tech Admin\WRPG Fanatic

• Senior Administrator
  • 1906 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

My response in the staff forum was pretty much "I'm not going to write it, but here's the raw data and there's an unofficial API on Github if you want to do it yourself". 

If you want to go for it, we're all for implementing it. I just don't have the time to do it.

• Ray likes this

Got a problem with the forum, another clan mate, or something in the clan chat? PM me and I'll take care of it.

BhHin9N.png

#7 Spiny Hollow

Spiny Hollow

ℓєєт Poster

• 1099 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

This will be good to see if you ever do create it

Max cape lyf

n4Rnh9I.png

#8 John

John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

My response in the staff forum was pretty much "I'm not going to write it, but here's the raw data and there's an unofficial API on Github if you want to do it yourself". 

If you want to go for it, we're all for implementing it. I just don't have the time to do it.

Could you point me in it's direction, i didn't actually know there was anything on GIt.

...anything for runescape, obviously there are things on Git.

2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#9 Steph

Steph

The People's Messiah

• 3942 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

Sounds great. Couldn't find anything on Github myself. If you plan on taking things further beyond just SST, I'd be more than willing to help out.

Posted Image

Attack - Strength - Defence - Constitution - Herblore - Prayer - Construction - Firemaking - Ranged - Cooking
Spoiler

#10 John

John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sounds great. Couldn't find anything on Github myself. If you plan on taking things further beyond just SST, I'd be more than willing to help out.

I found the api, it seems really easy to use from a quick glance, at work more so can't try it but it looks promising.

On phone, forgive errors
2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#11 Ray

Ray

Man of many titles

• GW2 Management
  • Others: Recruitment Team
  • 1382 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Let me know if you need help debugging/troubleshooting the code id offer more help but i rarely come around

tumblr_mbp4d3ySxL1rhv8lio5_400.gifCammy-super2.gif

#12 John

John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

API i found for anyone interested.

If i can get it to work then i wasted literally 10s of hours on my own method. woop.

https://github.com/A...s#wiki-overview

2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#13 Momo

Momo

The World's Finest

• Clan Member
  • 3198 posts
  • Steam: Momo
  • XBL: Momo786X
  • LocationWales, United Kingdom
  • RSN: Momo
  • Guild Wars:Momo.4390

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Loving the idea, you got my support. Best of luck!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 John

John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

Using my own domain name and hosting, this is a sort of example of what i'lll be doing

‎www.kaonplus.co.uk/NewAPI.php

That's done using the runescape api i got from gitub with my player name; the api takes the name and pretty much splurges al the highscore information in can get. It can also get adventures log events and a few other things. The idea is to take what this gives me and shove it into a database and present it all nice-like in a table. If you can imagine taking all the information between the speech marks then you sort of understand how this will work, the punctuation is just there as a artefact of how it was recovered.

My point is that at the very least i can get information from the hiscores and put it onto a stat tracking website and given time i might even be able to write my own api to deal with the data in a  more efficient way.

2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#15 Steph

Steph

The People's Messiah

• 3942 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Awesome job dude.

Posted Image

Attack - Strength - Defence - Constitution - Herblore - Prayer - Construction - Firemaking - Ranged - Cooking
Spoiler

#16 Dw Vonder

Dw Vonder

Forum Whore

• 2269 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

If you make this work really nice I'll give you like 5m on RS if you want it.

dw%20vonder.png

max.png

cPgArNE.png
g8v.png

#17 Poe

Poe

Uber Poster

• Legendary Member
  • Others: Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

This sounds really great! Fully support.  :)

Po_e.pngPo_e.png

#18 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

This sounds like a great idea.  As a sidenote, I've actually been looking for some projects to work on (mainly to get some concrete experience with web-development), so I would be happy to assist you with this project.  I have a few weeks off coming up for Christmas break, so I am actually looking to fill my time with something.

I am not sure how much of it you have planned out but I think we could do with sitting down and discussing the design.  I am curious to hear what your ideas are.  You obviously don't need to worry about hosting for this project.

In fact, if we extrapolate this idea further, I would think it would be fun to make clan-subsistence.com its own splash page for the clan, with links to this stat tracker, the forums, and some other news.  A few people mentioned Irenic... yes it might be something like that.

"I hereby swear to abandon all fear; to question everything; to trust in myself; to honor those before me as I excel, and to support those who follow as they ascend. I swear that I will never accept another’s standard for success, as I set mine one measure higher. When I am finished, no one will ever look at me the same way again."

#19 John

John

Forum Whore

• Clan Member
  • 2600 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

This sounds like a great idea.  As a sidenote, I've actually been looking for some projects to work on (mainly to get some concrete experience with web-development), so I would be happy to assist you with this project.  I have a few weeks off coming up for Christmas break, so I am actually looking to fill my time with something.

I am not sure how much of it you have planned out but I think we could do with sitting down and discussing the design.  I am curious to hear what your ideas are.  You obviously don't need to worry about hosting for this project.

In fact, if we extrapolate this idea further, I would think it would be fun to make clan-subsistence.com its own splash page for the clan, with links to this stat tracker, the forums, and some other news.  A few people mentioned Irenic... yes it might be something like that.

I've spent most of my time since posting this with a whiteboard trying to work out the best solution for structuring the thing. I've done quite a bit of HTML and CSS before but large scale PHP, MySQL, AJAX (which i'm hoping i can integrate) and general server stuff are all fairly new to me. I've done a bit of testing and i have the basics for database updating/inserting/deleting etc down but issues arise in the more complicated areas, i'm not sure what your experience is but it might be that we discuss structure and layout then i go off and leave you to sort out the PHP instead of waiting for me to actually learn it.

...blah blah blah.

Find a time and i'll jump onto irc or something similar.

2015-01-07-Charlie.jpg

#20 Christian

Christian

Dear Leader

• Senior Administrator
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

I'll be in IRC almost everyday starting this weekend (last final exam is on Friday).

And I should mention that I am by no means some sort of PHP master.  I am almost done with my Computer Science degree but most of my experience is in Java, C++, Python.  I have a fair amount of SQL experience also.  But I've only done a few relatively minor things in PHP.  Learning experience is what I am after also.

"I hereby swear to abandon all fear; to question everything; to trust in myself; to honor those before me as I excel, and to support those who follow as they ascend. I swear that I will never accept another’s standard for success, as I set mine one measure higher. When I am finished, no one will ever look at me the same way again."

Bitcoin (฿): 1D4Jxg4Xt2EZNZoYuDvDeYBPQ7ABKDHGbA (Click for QR Code)
Litecoin (Ł): Lfx3Rm1yCEaaRDqenUUqfSBGCZRdFEx6a9 (Click for QR Code)